Saturday, August 04, 2007

Not a typical indian treatment though......

After a long gap, I just got time to write a blog sitting at my sweet home. Perhaps this might be an interesting coincidence happened in an european country and my home land. This is not a comparison between the developed country and the developing nation, or the corruption that can be easily compared to, nor the diversity that my land enjoys.

It is a similar incident that I witnessed in Holland as well as in India and I could see the cultural differences. I am not advocating for either of the country but I want to show how the incident was handled in two different and divergent countries.

It was an evening and I wanted to do shopping in near to my office in Amsterdam as I had to return to India in a couple of weeks. My friend and I have completed the work and started walking towards the shopping center.

Sometime back I wondered about my mom or my sister how they irritated me in spending much time for shopping and I had to wait, wait and wait for them to complete. It was the day when I realised and I supported them as I had to spend hours to select just few things. But they were pretty costly and I had to compare and buy the cheapest and the best. Well, I owed not to bother my mom or my sister when they do shopping and to wait till they complete:-(

I was done with the day shopping. I could not carry all the stuff and I shared with my friend's bag. My friend and I started towards Bijlmer bus stand where we had to take the bus route 300 to reach my home. It was around 7:50pm and as it was non-peak hours we had to wait for another 10 mins to take the bus. We just rested on the passenger platform.

After 10 mins, we got into the bus and was chatting some office happenings. It was the country side the bus was running and was pleasant to see the farms. Suddenly my friend realised and was looking for his bag around the seat and we could not find. He was asking me whether I took the bag or it was kept anywhere. After discussing how we could miss it, we came to know that he forgot to take the bag from the passenger platform when we sat in the bus stand. It was almost 8 mins travel between the boarding place and the next stop. We could get down and go back to the bus stand but we had to wait for a while to get the next stop. Though we may not assure that we get the bag back, I didn't want to miss the chance to check the place.


We got down in the next stop but the bus service could not match for our urgency and we had to wait for another 5 mins to get the bus back to the bus stand. And another 8 mins journey to reach the place.

Can you guess what would have happened? Did anybody take the bag?, or was it alerted to the police as the bag was kept alone in the bus stand? We were thinking all possible chances that could happen but when we saw the platform from inside the bus, for our surprise, the bag was still relaxing on the platform. We saw few people sitting next to the bag and others were roaming but nobody was appeared to notice the bag.

We immediately rushed the place and got the bag. What we do when we see the bag which we get it back. It's the same. We opened the bag and verified whether it got all the stuffs we bought but it was not India.

This was the incident we could not stop praising their cultural behavior that we saw there.

What could happen if it happens in India. Can we expect the same conduct in our country? Can our people leave the place after finding that a bag was kept and nobody was around to it? Its upto you how you can react to the question but I myself could find the similar situation in chennai and could see how our people reacted to it.

It was one sunday. My friend and I entered the biggest shopping mall Spencer's plaza in chennai. I had a carry bag with few brochures which were not needed and I didn't want to carry them. My friend told to throw it out in a nearby garbage point. But I wanted to sample the situation and I placed in my friend bike. It was deliberately visible to everybody and we left the place. I wanted to see how our people react to it. If they want to take the bag, I don't mind.

We completed our little shopping and major window shopping. We reached the bike and we saw what we expected. The bag disappeared from the bike. I was telling to my friend that the similar incident happened in Holland and the treatment was different. I told that our people don't change at all and my friend also started abusing. Well, we can not do anything and we started the bike.

A security man was just looking at us and showing his hand. But for our surprise, he was having my bag. He came to us and handed over the bag. We could not stop smiling at him and really could not stop expressing the true gratitude. He started telling that the bag was kept in the bike and it was very cloudy at the time. He saw the bag and thought the bag might have some important documents. So he took the bag and kept with him. He was waiting for us to reach the bike so that he could give it back to us.

We expected the manner what could happen in chennai but it was entirely and entirely mesmerized after we saw what really happened.

But will this happen all the time in our country?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey suc an experience in India is unbeliveable in India..Lucky u ....

Aparajita here

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

India continues to be the top holiday destination in Asia. Reasons culture, good scenery and nice friendly people

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home